Friday, January 23, 2009

You Name It

I'm sitting here, trying to think of something fascinating to write about. The fact is, I just don't think I'm that fascinating. I don't even know how many people are reading this blog anyway. So I've been asking myself, why on earth do I keep it? After some contemplation, I came to two conclusions. First and foremost, it's a place for me to log pictures and stories of my family's life. It's kind of turned into "Scrapbooking for Dummies" for me. Second, I like to think that maybe I have some family and friends out there who are actually interested in what my little family is doing.

You see, I'm kinda having this "Wo Is Me" kind of week. I called up my mom blubbering on about this and that and my sentence ended with "...And I'm boring! Nobody reads my blog 'cause it's boring! I'm not witty and I'm not a good writer. I'm booooring." Which also turns into "I have no gifts, I have no talents, I'm a bad mom, I feel frumpy and on and on and on." I know, I know... Blubber blubber bawl.

I told you it's been a Wo week

You know my mom... she gave just the right amount of "Oh, you are having a rough day" and "I enjoy your blog." Then she quickly began to laugh and laugh. My story of emerging from the shower to find a toilet water soaked 18 month old -still in his pj's and last night's diaper at 10:00 am- baptizing Dan's hunting proclamation, and half a roll of toilet paper, must have set her off. If you'd recall, the little guy had just done this not too long ago.

Funny thing is, I had hollered to Carly over the shower water, "Is Fisher in the toilet?"
"No." She had hollered back.
Satisfied with her answer, I took my leisurely time rinsing my hair out.
When I emerged and found the mayhem I said, "Carly! You said he wasn't in the toilet!"
Her reply, "He's not IN the toilet mom."

True words Carly- true words. Glad we're on the same page.

So at this point of the story I've got the baptized saturated mess and of course there's no garbage bag in the bathroom so I stomp toward the kitchen, holding the dripping mess out in front of me. I turn the corner into the kitchen and I suddenly feel like Eve without her fig leaf as I realize the blinds are open and everyone would be able to see my innocence (snort). I holler for Carly to come fast and bring me the garbage can. You all know she doesn't speak english, right? That's what happens when you're 4. You suddenly don't hear or understand anything your mom says anymore. She finally came and brought it to me and I threw the mess inside. (I swear she rolled her eyes at her crazy naked mom).

So then my mom says, "You need to be like Pioneer Woman and do a giveaway."

I actually snorted.

"What would I possibly give away mom? An expired 25 cent container of Kool-Aid from NPS that dad bought for me?" (NPS aka Market Square is in my top 5 favorite stores by the way. It's up there with this store, this store and this store. I'm thrifty, that's what I am. I love a good bargain.)

By now, both mom and I are rolling in laughter and a little bit of the "Wo" is leaving me.

She says "No, just ask everyone to help you name a picture. You know, like she does."

So, to help get a little more of the "Wo" out of me and my week, I'd like you to help me name this picture of Fisher that involved at least a dozen eggs:

This will be interesting to me because the most comments I've ever gotten out of my 35+ readers is 5. And that happened only twice. It's usually only 1 or 2 (thanks mom). So, let's break my big record and go for 6 or maybe even 7. I think at least 7 of you love me :) I'm not promising any big prizes. I'm not that cool... yet. lol. But I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment with your suggested title and maybe, just maybe, one of these days, I'll find something "cool" to to give you.
P.S. Does throwing a snowball at you count as something "cool"?

11 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Many people are feeling like this right now. I have been on the phone with a few bloggers that struggle with it everyday.

I struggle sometimes too. I see my sitemeter and I think why do I only get 1/4 commeting to me?

Weird. I started with 3 comments for a LONG time and they were all family. Then more and more people found my blog. I love the friends, but some days I feel pressured to blog, or I put a post out " like my organizing toys" one, and then feel bad that rather than be inspired by it, some are just going to feel bad about it. It's one thing when you've been to my class, and another to just jump in and show people my house.

I feel your "wo is me though" I have an 18 month old, and I hear ya girl.. Totally hear you. I had to call poison control last friday because she got ahold of a bottle of tums. I have 3 children, and non of them have gotten into the trouble my little one has.

My parents are really busy. I see them every sunday, but that is about it. My Mom knows what's going on with me only from my blog. Sad.. but true, and I guess nice. So, this is what advice I tell myself and my friends..

1- Blog only for you. Like you are writing things just for you.. If people chime in on your post.. great.
2- You are documenting "moments" and even the simple things like your 18 month old's troubles will be forgotten oneday, and this will benefit you in the long run..
3- In order to get comments, you have to dish them. I used to comment on everyone's everyday, and now my list is longer, and I have made more friends, and it's almost impossibe. I try, but I can't be on the computer ALL day.
4- Be yourself. I love "tags" on blogs, because it helps you get to know the people better. If you are looking for some, I have a "tagged" on my sidebar. I love reading/snooping about people!

Thanks for finally commenting and also following me! :) I love to meet new friends, and hope you don't quit yet!
~~ Ann

Ann Marie said...

You mean this isn't what they call an egg bath?? "
He is adorable!

Silly girl.. You don't have to give away anything.. Just ask people. Let their creativity shine!

Claire Evenson said...

Yea! I'm so glad i can read your blog now! You are an inspiring women*

I would name the picture "Who wants omelets?"

Lisa said...

"Eggs for sale!!"

Hey- you can't base your daily self worth on if you get comments on your blog. :)
People care about you. Some people are just readers not commenters and sometimes people don't know what to say. Keep posting but post for yourself,if you get a few comments then great, if not don't worry about it so much!!! Remember the book you gave me...Don't sweat the small stuff, and that is all it is "small stuff"

heysparkles said...

OK wasn't so sure what he had on his face...then I remembered the egg pictures...(I was hoping it was the t-paper blob, in run, to the garbage LOL)Let's see...I first thought of "Wanna taste?" Then if it IS egg, I liked Lisa's "Omlets anyone ?"

The granny that loves to travel said...

Your other mother says, It is so worth it to me. I get to have a small insite to bloggers and thier lives. I don't get on very often but when I do it's awesome.

Misty said...

I'm not very creative with words - but I do like to read your blog. It is fun to see what you are up to & what your cute family is like - especially since the last time I saw you was in High School. I felt the same way about comments - but I decided that this is more for me & my family than anything. They have some websites where you can publish your blog. I am so excited to do that when I have my 1 year anniversary of my blog because then I can have it in a book that my family can look at it over again & again. Keep it up - you are not boring!

Julia Callahan said...

Your blog is great, like everyone says. I guess some people (like me) like to type/write/document/share more than other people (my husband--never answers email, so they email me to find out what's up with him!) We're women, we can get emotional and it's okay. :0) We all need to vent and blogging helps, and comments from your best of friends with mean the most anyway. But, please yourself 2nd, the Lord 1st. :0) husband inbetween those two he he.
I think I'd name that picture something like...."Chicken little" or his names sake: "Fischen Little"

Unknown said...

Marcie, you are hilarious!! I love ot read your blog, although I don't always comment, which I should be better at!! But know that you are not alone there is ALWAYS SOMEONE who understands or has been there!!

p.s. I LOVE the picture, but I am not creative enough to come up with a name for it!!

Sdalton said...

Um I think it should be "eggstraspecial".

Unknown said...

"special of the Day - Fish & Eggs... Priceless"