Sunday, April 15, 2012

Family History


Today in Relief Society, we had a lesson on Family History and doing temple work for our ancestors. The teacher asked what kinds of things we can do to get our kids interested in family history. One lady said to take them to the temple to do baptisms for the dead when they are 12, another said to take a trip to a place your ancestors once lived or a place where they crossed the plains, etc. I raised my hand and said we also need to get them excited about family history that is being happening right now in our lives too and get our kids to write and take pictures about their lives. I told them how I felt that I am making a contribution to my family history by documenting what is happening today by taking lots of pictures. It was also at that moment that a little lightbulb went off in my head about this blog. I haven't written much lately or taken many pictures because I have felt like there has not been a lot going on. I realized today that that can't be farther from the truth. Writing about what might be just an ordinary day for us, could be an extraordinary family history moment for future generations to come when they read about us. Does that even make sense? It donned on me that futute generations will be able to come here to my blog and see our family history come to life. They will be able to see my kids grow up through pictures (I love taking pictures!) They will be able to make a connection with us and really, really know us. If either of my grandmothers had kept a journal/blog I would be fascinated to read about their lives as mothers and see my own parents as little kids.

My family history moment today is going to be about this picture. It was taken in 2010 at Grandpa's 90th birthday party at Golden Corral. One of the gals today said to make sure to label your pictures so that later on, people will know who is in the picture. It was a good reminder to do so:
Marcie Lewis, Dan Lewis Jr.
Carly Lewis, Galen "Dutch" Woltkamp, Hunter Lewis
Fisher Lewis

We went to church earlier today and sat in the foyer while Dan prepared his lesson. He teaches the 16 yr old kids. Such a last minute guy and yet a fabulous teacher. He always pulls off a great lesson. I was able to sit by Jessica and her family and catch up with her for a bit. Fisher went to his Primary class with no issues! Yay! Usually he wants me to come and sit by him and I have to sneak out of sharing time without him noticing. After church we went over to my mom's for dinner. The kids played and had a ball together in the back yard. Dan played cards with my mom, sisters and my grandpa Dutch Woltkamp. Grandpa can't hear very well, but he's as sharp as a whip and very witty. It's always good to see and spend time with him!

2 comments:

heysparkles said...

You are so right that your future family will love to read about you and your family...and especially see the the wonderful pictures you take and share!!!

heysparkles said...

You are right about your future family, will love to read about you and your family...and they will especially enjoy seeing the wonderful pictures you take and share.