Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's not Alzheimer's, it's “Some-timers"


Going anywhere with the three munchkins in tow is like taking a single bite of liver. Not super appealing, but do-able. Taking them to the post office today was like eating the whole liver slathered in ketchup and peanut butter while holding your nose and trying not to gag. All I wanted was to know how much it would cost to mail two boxes. The regular line had at least 15 people in it. The automated machine line had two. I should have went for the 15… The first lady was done rather quickly. Two minutes tops. Then it was the “some-timers” couple’s turn. They had two packages. They slowly go through the series of questions on the first and are gleeful to find out, after spending a mere 5 minutes (aka 5 minutes of my “get back here”s “Stay still”s and “pick that box up, don’t stand on it!”s), that they only need to add one more 41 cent stamp. Okay, Good. On to #2. She sets it on the machine and the painful process starts again. She gets to the entering of the zip code and I hear her say to herself “I forgot it’s going to England!” She turns toward me and asks if I know how to do it. Unfortunately, I don’t. She then states that someone has shown her a month ago how to put that critical information in the machine. This is where her “sometimers” kicks in. Sometimes you remember stuff, sometimes you don’t. She tried again. And Again. Finally she gives up and gets in the live worker line which now has 1 person in it. (I hope the postal worker didn’t have sometimers too.) We move up to take our turn, I put the package on the scale, and Carly makes a dash for the exit door. There’s something magical and alluring about those doors to a 3 year old. It must make you feel like a big person, being able to control the door just like your mom does. And it’s really funny to have your mom holler at you to come back when you’re on a mission to be anywhere but the post office. I send Hunter after her and he drags her back by the coat and I dash through the questions at lightning speed. I get the outrageously high price and then gather them up and herd them out to the car, drive home and call mom, who proceeds to tell me that I could have figured out the price on the internet in the comfort of my own home. I new that. It was just my sometimers kicking in.

No comments: