Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Today I am reminded of the worst April Fools Day joke ever than Dan pulled on me

Anyhow, I’ve got to set this up. For anyone who doesn't know, I live on 2200 West in West Jordan. Obviously it's a pretty busy street. When my oldest was still in a baby carrier, I got a very urgent knock on my door. I looked out the window and saw two pretty frantic guys standing there. They proceeded to tell me that they had just seen our 4 horses bolt out of the backyard from our side drive and take off on a dead run heading south down 2200 West. Can you say panicky adrenaline rush? It’s a good thing they were honest guys because I threw the baby in his car seat and left him out front with them while I ran out back to the barn to grab halters and buckets of grain. I called Dan in a panic. He was doing electrical at the time and was clear downtown working on the brand new church building that would eventually be called the Conference Center. He hung up and headed home. I called my mom at work to help me find them as well. I was still driving my orange 1970 chev pickup back then and screeched out of the driveway with baby in tow to try to find them.
I had no idea where they might go
I said a prayer and drove down past 7800 South
No horses
I came back north and I drove down Sapphire drive where I used to live.
No horses
I looked in the fields behind the elementary and middle school
No horses
Yes I’m pretty panicked.
It’s not like losing a dog
Dogs wear tags and dogs usually show up back home.
Finally, I drove on the last street that bordered my old ward
And there they were. Halfway down the street, a white truck had pulled in front of them and there were about 4 or 5 people trying to corral them on some poor saps lawn. (They gave them some free fertilizer and lawn aeration from their shoes while they were there)
One guy was on his cell phone. I waved my arm out my window and hollered “They’re mine!” and he hung up the phone. By this time, my mom had found us and was getting out of her car to help.
We had two that were easy to catch, totally gentle and two that were pretty wild. Thank Goodness we got them all caught. The people the helped were nice enough to help me lead them home and one of them drove my truck with the baby inside. I walked the most wild one home. Her name was “Lucky” only because she was "lucky" Dan hadn’t shot her because she was the one who let the horses out. She had lifted the latch with her lips and was met with temporary freedom. Dan arrived home shortly after. That was the fastest he had ever made it home. He later confessed he had the needle buried the entire drive home.
Anyhow, so that sets the story up
So April Fools Day rolls around the next year and by this time, Lucky and Savannah (The two wild ones) were gone. Sianara (Is that how you spell that?) We only had Chigger and Trooper left. I still have Chigger today. Trooper died a few years ago at riding practice but that’s a different story for a different day. Anyhow, April Fools Day comes around and I’m oblivious to the fact that it’s the 1st. I get a frantic phone call from our good friend Stoney in our warn and he tells me to check my back yard to see if the horses are there because he just saw two bay horses running down Harvest Lane. I look out and can’t see them. The baby is taking a nap and I run outside totally panicked. The side gate is open again and sure enough, when I get to the barn, no horses. And one stall door is open. I swear under my breath (don’t act so surprised), grab the halters, the grain and am on a total adrenaline rush. As I go to leave the barn, up walks Dan, leading the horses. Laughing.Hysterically.Totally.Laughing.Hysterically! He tells me “April Fools!” I tell him how funny it really isn’t and I give him a good smack and then (of course, I am a girl you know) here come the tears. He hugged me and told me he was sorry.
And every April Fool’s Day since, I remind him that I still owe him for that one…
Beware Dan…
Beware…

1 comment:

heysparkles said...

I remember that day when the 4 horses escaped...I was saying a prayer all the way over there that they would not get hit by some big ol truck...anyway I can feel your panic...even today...and yes that was a terrible April Fools! Get him back!!!