Tuesday, June 30, 2009

KW Cares Lemonade Stand


As you know, Dan works for Keller Williams Realty. They have a nationwide charity called KW Cares. Dan's office holds regular fundraisers to help their cause. They give money to the Christmasbox House and help their family of realtors all over the country. When they had Hurricane Katrina back east, they raised money to help Keller Williams family members there. Our kids had the opportunity to sign up to do a lemonade stand the first tuesday in June with half of the proceeds going to KW Cares.


To say they were excited would be an understatement. Carly got all dressed up in her pretty dress from Grandma Karen.


And she sampled all of the different foods there. They had chocolate and glazed doughnuts from Dunford Bakers, apples, bananas, mini loaves of freshly ground whole wheat bread with honey and jam, homemade whole wheat chocolate chip cookies, and bottled water.


At first Hunter was really shy, but Carly never was. If anyone walked in the door, she'd say "Do you want some food?" and flash them that sweet smile and puppy dog eyes. They kids ended up with a little bit of money each.
We got on the freeway to come home and as we got off the Redwood Road exit on I-215, we saw a homeless woman standing with a cardboard sign. I got about a mile down the road and felt as if I should go back and give her the leftover food. We pulled up and parked on the side of the road and I walked over and gave her a box with the leftover bread, apples, bananas and doughnuts. She was so excited and grateful and it made me cry. I wondered how long it had been since she had eaten a fresh piece of fruit and then I cried again. Hunter kept saying what a good thing it was we were doing for that lady. I agreed with him, it felt good and I was grateful to share the opportunity with them.

No comments: