Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween Blast from the Past '04


I love looking at old pictures. Especially to see how much my kids have grown. Hunter was a Cowboy in 2004, (Go Figure). Let's see... he would have barely been 3 years old, and I would have been pregnant with Carly at the time.


I was just about this pregnant. This was about a month before at the State Horse Show in Logan.


Dan competed on Chigger at that show because Trooper had just died and I couldn't ride because I was pregnant. We also got our kitties up there from someone who was giving them away in front of Macey's Grocery Store.
Anyways, I've gotten off on a major tangent-
Back to Halloween...


This is my mom and dad back in '04 in front of their house. Halloween was always super fun when I was a kid. We'd carve around 25 - 30 pumpkins and then set them up on a ladder and on hay bales in front of the house. The secret to keeping them all lit is to use a strand of big white christmas lights, not candles. Mom always had a special set of lights just for the pumpkins and they always had a little pumpkin goo on them from the year before. I remember one year someone knocked all our pumpkins over and smashed them. Mom went out and bought us all 25 new pumpkins and after that our neighbor Randy, who was living in the basement apartment next door, made it his job to be on "Pumpkin Smasher Patrol". He'd hide out on his top step next door where he had a clear view of our house and watch to make sure no one ruined our halloween setup again. It must have worked because I don't remember them getting smashed again that year.


This is my Grandpa Galen "Dutch" Woltkamp. He's 79 (I think... mom, you'll have to correct me on this one...). He's very spry and quick whitted. Every year, I take the kids to his house to trick or treat. He doesn't get any kids from his neighborhood anymore, not with all the humungo houses down the street who most likely give out $100 bills. So, he doesn't buy any candy anymore. He gives the kids quarters and my kids are estatic every time they get one. My grandpa loves Wendover and I enjoy spending time with him there. Heather Jo's phone ring sounds like a game out there and every time I hear it, I want to hop in the car with my pennies and head out. When I was a little kid, I remember thinking that grandpa's beer was a soda and taking a drink of it in his living room. I remember it was yucky and when I grew up, I never tried it again. The doctors tell him to keep doing what he is doing, because he is pretty healthy for his age. Maybe I'll take up beer drinking so I can live until I am 80 too. j/k I love my grandpa very much and am glad he has such a good relationship with my mom and dad.


Hunter and Mitchell at Grandpa Dan's and Nana Nedra's house. It's cute to see Mitchell in this costume because Heather just had Mason in it last Sunday at our Halloween Party/Dinner. Mitchell lives close to us now and Hunter has played with him more in the last year than in all the years past.
Hope you've enjoyed this blast from the past. I know I have :)

3 comments:

heysparkles said...

Ok lets just say Halloween is not too good on my complexion...LOL (is that how you spell that?) I love your old pictures. Grandpa Dutch is 88 this year 2008. So I figure in that picture he is 84 2004.

Misty said...

That was a great post - it is so fun to remember the past & think about all that has changed since then.

Lisa said...

That was pretty fun to look at the old pictures! I have always loved Halloween.